F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Wed Jun 11 16:59:56 UTC 2014

> Also, dnf
> > needs to drop all the legacy options before the transition (ie)  pick
> erase
> > or remove (preferably the latter) etc rather than retain all the
> > compatibility options.
>
> The transition period is one reason why we want to keep the name dnf.

The compatibility options can be kept in /usr/bin/yum without cluttering up
/usr/bin/dnf.

> Also presenting dnf as a separate project forked from yum gives us better
> flexibility - for instance it's easier to drop obsoleted stuff because
> users
> don't have that high compatibility expectations.

That’s a pure illusion.  The users have a compatibility expectation that *their
software will continue working*.  Compared to asking the users to notice
and work around removal of “obsoleted stuff” in /usr/bin/yum, asking the
users to notice and work around removal of “obsoleted stuff” in
/usr/bin/yum *and in addition to change the command name in their scripts*
is, AFAICT, just making things worse.
    Mirek