[fedora-arm] ExcludeArch tracker doesn't appear to be effective

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Jun 11 18:04:07 UTC 2014

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 18:03:35 +0200
drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 10:14 AM, Richard W.M. Jones
> <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 12:07:23AM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> >>
> >> The question wasn't really directed at me but adding my 2 cents ...
> >> basically on x86(_64) hardware I can point people at fedora and
> >> most of the time it will work.
> >> As for ARM if you get a random arm hardware chances are that it is
> >> simply not supported or needs some manual hacks to get used.
> >>
> >> That's not really a fedora specific problem but it makes ARM more
> >> of a "gimmick" to me  ...  until hardware vendors catch up.
> >
> > As you say, mostly this is the nature of the platform.
> >
> > 32 bit ARM hardware is not self-describing, and not at all uniform
> > (unlike PCs).  There is no BIOS.  There's no standard text display
> > or serial port.
>
> Yeah I know but it still makes it inferior to x86_64 ... debian seems
> to be in a better
> shape simply because it supported ARM for a long time (i.e there
> builds for a larger set of boards).

Debian is in the state its in because they build a bunch of different
kernels from different sources, we have chosen not to do that but take
the longer better road to use a unified kernel and support systems in a
unified manner. We have been working upstream in u-boot to make things
more standardised and make supporting new arm systems much much
simpler. its starting to pay off with much more supportable hardware
and systems that will just work in a standard fashion. debian chose to
hack in support for each different system in their installer and
setup/management tools. which is something we chose not to do as its
really not a supportable path.

Dennis