F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Wed Jun 11 19:03:12 UTC 2014

On 06/11/2014 11:20 AM, Jan Zelený wrote:
> The transition period is one reason why we want to keep the name dnf. We'd
> basically like to keep current yum around for users that have various scripts
> and stuff depending on it so they have some time to migrate to dnf.

I think this is a mistake---if dns truly provides the functionality then
it should replace yum. Hopefully the majority of people can use dnf as
is, but if there are corner cases that only the original yum handles,
then it's better to make it available as, say, 'yum-original' or 'yum
--yum-me-harder'.

It boils down to this: someone is going to be inconvenienced. I argue
it's better to inconvenience the minority with special 'yum' needs by
making them use the 'yum-old' alias, rather than inconveniencing the
majority by making everyone switch their scripts and fingers to 'dnf'.