F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Thu Jun 12 07:30:23 UTC 2014

On 11. 6. 2014 at 15:03:12, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> On 06/11/2014 11:20 AM, Jan Zelený wrote:
> > The transition period is one reason why we want to keep the name dnf.
We'd
> > basically like to keep current yum around for users that have various
> > scripts and stuff depending on it so they have some time to migrate to
> > dnf.
> I think this is a mistake---if dns truly provides the functionality then
> it should replace yum. Hopefully the majority of people can use dnf as
> is, but if there are corner cases that only the original yum handles,
> then it's better to make it available as, say, 'yum-original' or 'yum
> --yum-me-harder'.

As I said on numerous occasions during the last few days, dnf is not a 100%
drop-in replacement of yum. It aims to be as compatible as possible but within
reason - one of the important goals of dnf is clean and maintainable design.

> It boils down to this: someone is going to be inconvenienced. I argue
> it's better to inconvenience the minority with special 'yum' needs by
> making them use the 'yum-old' alias, rather than inconveniencing the
> majority by making everyone switch their scripts and fingers to 'dnf'.

As I said, we will have transition layer so using yum in your shell scripts
will still work for a few more releases. A vast majority of users should not
experience any inconveniences other than different output on the command
line.

Thanks
Jan