F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Thu Jun 12 08:51:16 UTC 2014

On 06/11/2014 06:13 PM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> If the idea is interesting it does imply that each person having scripts
> depending on yum has to:
> * s/yum/yum-legacy/
>    - Deploy to prod and run as before
> * s/yum-legacy/dnf/
>    - Test and ensure it has a consistent behavior w/ yum (that the script is not
>      using any of the deprecated options, that there is no some surprises in some
>      weird corners)

Nope. It means that once /usr/bin/yum become symlink (or wrapper) to dnf, then either:
1) nothing will change because dnf is mostly compatible will yum. I would say this will be behavior for majority of
existing scripts.
2) your script use some corner case of yum and will become broken. And you either
    a) migrate immediately to DNF
    b) you (the-sysadmin) are lazy and put it on back-burner and do s/yum/yum-legacy/ and you have to do that work from
a) anyway one year later.
--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCE, RHCDS