F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Jun 14 01:24:32 UTC 2014

Le samedi 14 juin 2014 à 03:10 +0200, Reindl Harald a écrit :
> Am 14.06.2014 03:04, schrieb Michael Scherer:

> >> I don't think that simple fact that DNF is re-write of YUM justifies re-naming
> >> and re-training all users. Users don't care what you do with the source. And
> >> of course, users will complain no matter what you do.
> >
> > Like they complained when up2date was replaced by yum ?
> > when zipper replaced whatever they used to have on *suse before ?
> > When pkgin replaced pkg_add on some of the BSD ?
> >
> > It happened in the past, and I do not remember seeing so much
> > complains..
>
> maybe people just have enough of repeated iterations every
> few months breaking compatibility left and right while it would
> have been possible to replace/improve things without breakage

You may not realize, but having someone who do not do your job telling
you how to do it is perceived as pretty annoying for a lot of people.

> as said repeatly in that thread:
>
> go ahead and propose to rename GNOME3 because it is no longer GNOME

Gnome is not a single software, it is a brand, and a collection of
software. Keeping the brand is likely the reason why it was not renamed.

But the part that did change visually, ie the windows manager and the
shell among others got renamed from whatever it was named to
gnome-shell. Same goes for rhytmbox, afaik.

> go ahead and propose to rename Linux because 3.15 is no longer Linux 1.0

I fail to see how comparing changes in more than 15 years is relevant to
the current discussion. Nor even how anecdotal point of data is
relevant.

> and that changes where much bigger than a fork of YUM renamed
> for no good reason especially in context of replace it

it was renamed to provides side by side installation among others. I am
sure that people would have been more upset if it was not done this way.
( as seen by the migration to gnome 3/kde 4 and people complaining
exactly on that ).

So maybe you should propose to have dnf named yum 4.0, and then since
that's a major version, we would be ok to change the behavior, command
lines switch, configuration and backend in a backward incompatible
way ?

Or even with the name yum and a clear indication, that's something that
shouldn't be changed, in which case, yum 3 behavior should be kept,
which mean "keeping all the code and behavior until later" ?

--
Michael Scherer