F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jun 14 02:31:33 UTC 2014

Am 13.06.2014 16:49, schrieb drago01:
> Well I replied to his general statements about developers "not
> understanding simple facts" ... that aside ...
> it fits pretty well the horse (yum) is slower so takes longer to get
> the job done as the car (dnf) ;)

well, i tested DNF recently on my Rawhide VM which is happy
with 192 MB RAM and zram doing a "yum reinstall \*" and
a simple "dnf upgrade" don't survive oom-killer because it
takes up to 250 MB RAM as far as i have seen in htop

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/DNF talks about
"better performance and memory footprint" - i see :-)

"dnf remove kernel" still offered to uninstall all 3 kernels
inlcuding the running one without a warning what would break
the complete setup

no - you can't educate users maintaining more than 20 machines
over many years and just use "yum remove kernel" to get rid of
old ones without look what possible testing versions are
installed and list them specific in the command line

for now the horse may be slower but it get's done the work better
and provides bash-completion for as example --enablerepo while
the bash-completion makes it finally faster, the rest is done
by the horse while the cowboy is drinking coffee :-)