F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 08:05:35 UTC 2014

Come on, every thing in Fedora changes all the time, It is hard for me to
see the fuzz about

having to type 'dnf install foobar', instead of 'yum install foobar'

If you uses a tool like yum at the command line, you should be able to
handle that.

more novice users will use gui tool and don't care how the command line
tool is named.

Having contributed and tracked yum development for many years, I have heard
a lot of BS about how bad and slow yum is and some other tool is much
better.

Now the dnf team has done a lot of work to clean things up and make a more
maintainable codebase and an documented API, that makes it much easier to
build other tools.
some more exotic features will go away, but if there are good use cases,
they can be added as plugins.

Instead of complaining, try to be constructive and test dnf and make a RFE
if something vital is missing.

In my work on make yumex work with the dnf API, the DNF team has be very
helpful to extending API, if there is a solid usecase

Tim