F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jun 14 10:55:27 UTC 2014

Am 14.06.2014 12:26, schrieb Michael Scherer:
> Le samedi 14 juin 2014 à 04:00 +0200, Reindl Harald a écrit :

>>> so, just to be clear, that's ok to change the behavior, command lines
>>> switch, configuratio and backend in backward _incompatible_ for yum 4.0
>>> aka dnf, for you ?
>>
>> it is *NEVER* ok to break user interfaces without a damned good reason
>> there is no single reason to break command line switches at all
>
> So why do you say "yes" at the proposal "that should be ok to break
> command line switch" if you mean "no" ?

to show you how weird your "come on let us break compatibility" is

> So you are in favor of keeping the current behavior as is for how long ?
> (because it sound like "forever" for you)

yes forever to say it clear
if it ain't broken don't fix it

> Well, yes, because that's the developer that has to make the effort. It
> is easy to say "do that" and going back to your business. In the end,
> those who work decide. And so far, I do not see patches coming from you

i am fine with YUM for many years as others are too
there was and is no valid reason to break CLI interfaces

> That's why the developers do ask "what is missing". That's also why I
> ask for you what compatibility you exactly want, and you keep avoiding
> giving a clear answer

*full* compatibility - is that so hard to understand and why?

> Yes. And I would be in favor personally, so that let developers free to
> change the interface and anything if they see fit without having to keep
> old code for the old interface.

why do you need to keep old code for compatible CLI interfaces?

> People who want the old yum can keep it alive, the others can use the
> dnf name

and because of that attitude Linux don't have that big marketshare
while often on that list is talked about competitors and marketshare

you will never gain a large userbase if you signal all the time
that it's worthless for non-tech users to learn how to deal with
whatever Linux systems because they have to learn again and again
how to do the same things instead spend the time for learning
how to do new things with their computers