F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jun 14 13:08:42 UTC 2014

Am 14.06.2014 14:56, schrieb Michael Scherer:
> Le samedi 14 juin 2014 à 13:45 +0100, Jon Kent a écrit :
>> Concerns me greatly when someone thinks cli is the wrong way to
>> automate things. Agree Reindl comment 're this statement.
>
> CLI is not scalable, you need to fork processes for that. There is also
> no way to communicate errors to the software that do the automation,
> since you can only transmit string without any formatting or
> translation.

oh my god - CLI is used for decades and now as machines
are some hundret times faster in IO and CPU performance
it's not scalable......

it is not perfect in all cases, but your hardwired API's
are also not - you are not in the position to judge
what is scalebale without a context and as i do not
demand you to use CLI commands if you don't like you
should avoid to demand your proposed workflow to others
__________________________________

distribute-command.sh "yum -y remove kernel" removes all old
kernels on 10,20,30 machines and is safe as long DNF is
not part of the game, not because it's wrong, because there
are wrong decisions in the context of make a system failsafe

"repo-cache.sh && distribute-updates.sh" builds a local repo from
/var/cache/yum/ on the build/testing-environment and deploys
it to 10,20,30 machines

you can fork a million processes in the time you safe with
that because only download the metadata from the internet
on a single machine takes longer, besides that the metadata
for 1500 used packages inside the own network are much smaller
not only because 10 GBE is faster to download them

distribute-needs-restart.sh lists oopen file handles to make
sure you know which services needs a restart after deploy
updates und 10,20,30 machines

*that is* scaleable - all that scripts and there are a lot
more starting with "distribute-*.sh" on the admin server
are built in 2008 with 3 virtual machines to maintain and
now there are more than 20 machines