F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jun 14 13:15:35 UTC 2014

Am 14.06.2014 15:04, schrieb Michael Scherer:
> Le samedi 14 juin 2014 à 12:55 +0200, Reindl Harald a écrit :
>>> That's why the developers do ask "what is missing". That's also why I
>>> ask for you what compatibility you exactly want, and you keep avoiding
>>> giving a clear answer
>>
>> *full* compatibility - is that so hard to understand and why?
>
> So basically, you want "full compatibility forever". Then I guess you
> cannot say that nobody ask for that, since you just did.
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-June/199991.html

stop that trolling

"to maintain yum in the long term" is a completly different thing than
keep *full compatibility* - compatibility is independet from the YUM
code itself

> Yet, I still do not see you offering any help to achieve that, only you
> requiring it.

as you do not offering to do the work of re-view and adopt
any existing script and howto out there

>>> Yes. And I would be in favor personally, so that let developers free to
>>> change the interface and anything if they see fit without having to keep
>>> old code for the old interface.
>>
>> why do you need to keep old code for compatible CLI interfaces?
>
> Because that's the easiest way, especially for plugins.

interesting - guess what: the *easiest way* would have been
not rewrite YUM at all - do it anyways but than say "but
for all other things which don't match the cherry picking
it's easier not do to so" is hypocrisy

> Otherwise, any changes could result in unrelated side effects and
> regressions, and the more options you provides, the more stuff there is
> to break. And the QA cost of full compatibility is rather high,
> especially for python where there isn't much isolation or interface for
> the code ( ie, you can directly go to the internal structures, kinda
> like DOS years ago )

you understand that any compatibility break is a side effect for the user?