F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Jun 14 13:49:04 UTC 2014

Le samedi 14 juin 2014 à 15:08 +0200, Reindl Harald a écrit :
> Am 14.06.2014 14:56, schrieb Michael Scherer:
> > Le samedi 14 juin 2014 à 13:45 +0100, Jon Kent a écrit :
> >> Concerns me greatly when someone thinks cli is the wrong way to
> >> automate things. Agree Reindl comment 're this statement.
> >
> > CLI is not scalable, you need to fork processes for that. There is also
> > no way to communicate errors to the software that do the automation,
> > since you can only transmit string without any formatting or
> > translation.
>
> oh my god - CLI is used for decades and now as machines
> are some hundret times faster in IO and CPU performance
> it's not scalable......

Performant different from scalable.

And you didn't address the problem of not having proper error
communication, and I can add the lack of format API and mechanism to
signal deprecation to issue of CLI as a automation mechanism. You can
also add the fact that all CLI calls are synchronous ( since shell lack
advanced synchronisation primitives ), which is also something going
against modern scalability ( and by scalability, I do not mean "20
machines" like you seems to do )

The fact we use command line tools in %post in rpm rather than clearly
defined API to affect the system is one of the reason why rollback is
hard to automate.

--
Michael Scherer