F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jun 14 13:59:08 UTC 2014

Am 14.06.2014 15:48, schrieb Haïkel Guémar:
> Le 14/06/2014 15:15, Reindl Harald a écrit :
>>
>> stop that trolling
>
> Weren't you the one trolling here? Because that's what many people are thinking about this thread.

backed by what data?

> Don't you think that turning every discussion on DNF into a flame war is helpful or serves your purpose ? Even the
> ones where the maintainer requests feedback and help to improve the very same points you're complaining about ?

don't you think if after i made clear my point of view a handful
people starting quibbling is the real reason for become a flamewar?

> In a community, there are mainly two ways to influence its direction:
> a) do things yourself
> b) convincing the others that you're right
>
> Like many here, you're not doing a) and you're doing poorly b), so either try to tone down your argumentation or
> learn how to use jedi mind tricks.

tell that the two people who go repeatly off-topic

>> "to maintain yum in the long term" is a completly different thing than
>> keep *full compatibility* - compatibility is independet from the YUM
>> code itself
>
> You were requesting that the Fedora Packages manager keeps the same user interface
> and behavior *forever* no matter how much broken it is

what eactly is broken in the CLI?

> DNF has done a pretty good work, in keeping compatibility with yum. Besides, DNF is
> basically yum 4.0, nobody would complain if we were to break UI/behavior compatibility.

that must be why "dnf remove kernel" kills your system

>>> Yet, I still do not see you offering any help to achieve that, only you
>>> requiring it.
>> as you do not offering to do the work of re-view and adopt
>> any existing script and howto out there
>
> Fedora is not entitled to maintain third-party scripts but we might provide
> you some help if *you* ask.

it would be enough not breaking them or stop pretend you
create a operating system if Fedora drives in a direction
to be a only self contained appliance with no care for
other software running on tp of

>> you understand that any compatibility break is a side effect for the user?
>
> You're not the only one who cares about user experience, please read the proposal.
> "This change will be completely transparent for users that use only the graphical
> package management tools. For anybody using the command line directly there will
> be some differences, but all the important operations are
> available with DNF, using the same CLI syntax."

oh yeah - proposals

is that the same one pretending a lower memory footprint while
"dnf upgrade" on a VM with 192 MB RAM get killed by the kernel
while "yum reinstall \*" works fine?

250 MB RAM is a bad joke for a single process
i have servers wich are doing the ir complete workload with less over months

> I'm answering you out of kindness, but keep it the gentleman way or i'll request moderation, thanks

nice - threaten with moderation because you don't like someones opinion