F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 14:32:17 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>>> you can rename internal functions, move code, use different
>>> libraries all day long, but if it comes to command lines and
>>> user interfaces (CLI params are a user interface) you need
>>> always to be very careful
>>
>> Depends obscure options that are hardly used by the majority of users
>> are different from common options that everyone uses.
>
> "dnf remove yum dnf kernel" ruins your system
> yum don't allow that for good reasons
>
> that's unacepptable behavior and was refused to change

I can list a tons of commands that "ruins your system" ...
While I might understand why use "yum remove kernel" (to remove
everything but the running kernel) the other commands do not make
sense.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda also "ruins the system" ... -> strawman

> dnf needs much more RAM currently while the feature page
> pretends it has a smaller footprint - so it's not ready
> or the feature page is a "would nice to be" not backed
> by the reality

Or maybe there is a bug (memory leak)? Did you file one?

>> FWIW using a CLI interface to automate things is imo the wrong
>> approach if there is an api that can be used instead (cleaner, less
>> hacky, more efficient, etc) (and yes this changes here too, because
>> the old API was really horrible but that's not the point)
>
> no idea what is your daily job, sysadmin obviously not

I am a software engineer.

> shell scripts are the Unix way and overall more efficient
> just because you write tiny scripts for different tasks
> and plug them together - efficient is not only a matter
> of runtime measure

Well sure doing things properly costs more time initially,  but it
will pay off later.
Anyway the cli interface of yum was never considered to be an api, so
scripts that use it
as if it where might break anytime. Even worse are scripts that try to
parse output that is
not guaranteed to be stable nor machine readable.