F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Mon Jun 16 07:31:17 UTC 2014

On 13. 6. 2014 at 10:09:07, Chuck Anderson wrote:

> > > Which only postpones the problem.

> > > Which is currently annoying me, for the same reason.
> >
> > I'm sorry you feel this way. Most of the people I talked to are quite
> > happy
> > how this transition was handled. That's why I consider it a good strategy
> > for dnf as well. If you have any other suggestions other than keeping the
> > name, we will be open to consider them.
>
> The command name doesn't have to match the project name. E.g. just
> look at the ImageMagick package--there are tons of generic command
> names that don't mention "ImageMagick" (or any abbreviation thereof)
>
> in their names:
> >rpm -ql ImageMagick|grep bin
>
> /usr/bin/animate
> /usr/bin/compare
> /usr/bin/composite
> /usr/bin/conjure
> /usr/bin/convert
> /usr/bin/display
> /usr/bin/identify
> /usr/bin/import
> /usr/bin/mogrify
> /usr/bin/montage
> /usr/bin/stream
>
> So I propose we keep calling the project DNF and the package dnf, but
> start the transition to a generic command name for "the tool that
> installs, removes, and updates packages".  I propose that this command
> name be called "pkg".  We can keep backwards compatibility to both the
> "yum" command name and the "dnf" command name indefinitely.

Sounds like an interesting idea and we will definitely give this some thought.
It needs some more work thought to see if it makes sense. For example what
would you say should be the correlation between the pkg command and DNF's
Python API? What I mean is which of these two would you say is better if we go
for this "neutral" command?

import dnf

- or -

import pkg