Compiler flags and memory usage

Andrew Lutomirski luto at mit.edu
Mon Jun 16 18:22:58 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Antonio Trande <anto.trande at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi John.
>
> On 06/15/2014 08:43 PM, John Reiser wrote:
>>> These compilations have been particularly annoying because it was
>>> nearly impossible to compile on my PC without blocks dependent by
>>> *high* memory usage.
>>
>> How much RAM and swap and free space does the build machine have?
>> ("sed 5q  < /proc/meminfo;  cat /proc/swaps;  df -h")
>
> $ sed 5q  < /proc/meminfo;  cat /proc/swaps;  df -h
> MemTotal:        4013076 kB
> MemFree:          530220 kB
> MemAvailable:    2846052 kB
> Buffers:          169788 kB
> Cached:          2235416 kB
> Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda6        96G   54G   38G  59% /
> devtmpfs        2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /dev
> tmpfs           2.0G  152K  2.0G   1% /dev/shm
> tmpfs           2.0G  952K  2.0G   1% /run
> tmpfs           2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
> tmpfs           2.0G   24K  2.0G   1% /tmp
> /dev/sda5       477M  252M  196M  57% /boot
>

>> The BuildRequires of coin-or-lemon-devel seems to be not yet available in f20,
>> so "rpmbuild -bc seqan.spec" fails.
>
> coin-or-lemon is still in f20 updates-testing repos; considering that my
> PC haven't sufficient RAM, I had to base RPM building tests only on Copr
> (http://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/sagitter/OpenMS/fedora-20-x86_64/seqan-1.4.1-2.fc20/build.log).

Since coin-or-lemon has been sitting around for a while, has positive
karma, and is a new package, I went ahead and marked the F20 version
stable.  Unless there's specific demand for the F19 build, I'll let it
linger in updates-testing until the full week is up.  The F19 version
is a bit crippled, too -- it's missing some of the LP features due to
unavailable dependencies.

FWIW, coin-or-lemon (like many packages, I suspect) builds quite
quickly but has expensive tests.  --nocheck should solve your problems
if you need to rebuild things like that.

--Andy