F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Peter Oliver lists.fedoraproject.org at mavit.org.uk
Mon Jun 16 18:49:35 UTC 2014

On 16 June 2014 08:31, Jan Zelený <jzeleny at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 13. 6. 2014 at 10:09:07, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>
>> So I propose we keep calling the project DNF and the package dnf, but
>> start the transition to a generic command name for "the tool that
>> installs, removes, and updates packages".  I propose that this command
>> name be called "pkg".  We can keep backwards compatibility to both the
>> "yum" command name and the "dnf" command name indefinitely.
>
> Sounds like an interesting idea and we will definitely give this some thought.

If you decide to go this route, it's worth bearing in mind that
Solaris 11 and FreeBSD 10 both already have tools called "pkg" that
perform this function.  They are incompatible with yum and dnf, but
have a similar-enough command-line that people searching the web for,
say, "pkg install" will find information about the wrong one.

--
Peter Oliver