Cross-distro fossology instance?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 20:01:45 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 10:01:09AM +0200, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone was considering cross-distribution fossology[1]
> instance where we could share burden of license review with other
> distros. I know at least Debian does comprehensive license reviews and
> we could possibly deduplicate a lot of review time this way.
>
> Note that I am not talking about doing whole package reviews in
> fossology, just hooking up the license checking part there.
>
> It's likely we'd need to clean up fossology a bit to be universally
> usable for this use case, but it should be doable. Opinions,
> suggestions...all welcome.
>
> [1] http://fossology.org/

Probably should get Fedora Legal's opinion here too.

I'm not sure I'd like the idea of having the work of license review done by
third parties.  I think it might be better to do reporting to fossology.
ie: we do license review and Debian also does license review and we
coordinate by posting our results to fossology.

The reason is that I've seen a lot of missed license problems both in Fedora
packages and in Debian packages.  Coordinating more eyes on the problem
seems like a way to fix this while deduplicating just means we'll all be
sharing the same erroneous assumptions.

-Toshio