F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Luya Tshimbalanga luya at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 17 16:50:14 UTC 2014

On 06/11/2014 08:20 AM, Jan Zelený wrote:
> The transition period is one reason why we want to keep the name dnf.
> We'd basically like to keep current yum around for users that have
> various scripts and stuff depending on it so they have some time to
> migrate to dnf. Also presenting dnf as a separate project forked from
> yum gives us better flexibility - for instance it's easier to drop
> obsoleted stuff because users don't have that high compatibility
> expectations. Thanks Jan

Coming late to the discusssion and reading Richards Hughes blog prompted
me to comment.

 From my understanding, DNF was supposed to be a temporary name for
forked Yum  to prevent conflicts with the current version of yum until
its full stability. About DNF having a complete different python API
from yum, there is an overlooked historical example: GCC (GNU Compiler
Collection) and its fork ECGS (Experimental/Enhanced GNU Compiler
System) where the latter was in fact renamed GCC with full support of
FSF agreeing to drop the original GCC 2.x.

Luya