F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Tue Jun 17 17:50:46 UTC 2014

Once upon a time, David <dgboles at gmail.com> said:
> Excuse me. By now I doubt anyone but the Yum zealots really care. Just
> do it. Make the switch. The Yum zealots will find something else to
> complain about later. Perhaps the size of the default font?  :-)

Please do not call people that like command consistency "zealots".

>From a system administration point of view, if dnf implements largely
the same common command interface as yum, it would be MUCH better if it
the command-line utility continues to be "yum".  It was annoying when we
went from "up2date" to "yum", but there was good reason (they were not
at all CLI-compatible).  If the common (aka commonly-scripted) CLI
upgrade", it would be much nicer to people that manage dozens or
hundreds of servers (where they won't all be upgraded in the same time
frame) to NOT arbitrarily change the name.

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>