F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF
stijn at sandcat.nl
Tue Jun 17 19:36:32 UTC 2014
On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 08:03:20 -0600
Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 09:07:39 +0200
> Jan Zelený <jzeleny at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Any other suggestions then? Cause `pkg` would be my #1 choice.
> Personally, I think adding another name just adds another problem.
This, please do not invent some generic name and be forced in 10 years
to rename yet again with the same arguments.
Either keep the dnf name:
- and update all documentation basically with s/yum/dnf/g
- and make sure it's big in the release notes
- and provide a yum frontend with compatibility warnings
or rename dnf to yum and call it 4.0:
- and warn programmers that the interface has changed
- and make sure that obsoleted options warn of changed defaults
My preference is the latter, basically because I don't see the wins
in the first case, FWIW.
More information about the devel