Best (cleanest?) conditional formation in a spec file for distro version and arch

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 12:56:30 UTC 2014

My package freecad has a missing optional dependency on RHEL 6, ppc64 ONLY
so for that build I need to drop a "Requires:"

The dependency doesn't build on ppc64 w/ older gcc and is not easily
fixable so I decided just to drop the optional dependency for that build
and arch, but how to accomplish this?

I started building the NOT conditional version but realized it won't work
as intended even if it worked at all since both NOT conditions would have
to be true:

%if ! 0%{?rhel} <= 6 && ! %{_arch} ppc64
Requires:       python-pivy
%endif

I guess I could layer it but it get's ugly and repetitive:

%if ! 0%{?rhel} <= 6
    Requires:       python-pivy
%else
    %ifnarch ppc64