DNF: why does it refresh metadata all the time

Jon jdisnard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 17:57:58 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> that's not the question
> the question is why such traffic wasting *defaults*

I might be way off base here, but in an effort to make DNF go faster
compared to YUM, the idea was made to have it pre-fetch metadata ahead
of time, so when DNF command is finally run by the user, it skips a
costly step... and *seems* faster. Although I believe YUM could do
that also with a simple crontab. It is actually a nice feature of DNF
or YUM, and I would suggest you embrace. Also, I'm skeptical there is
very much network traffic, unless it downloads file lists by default?
It's arguable if file lists should be pre-fetched, to do things like
determine what package provides something... I would say no, but
bandwidth is cheap. So there really is a benefit, and it mostly leads
to continuously update metadata.

--

-Jon