DNF: why does it refresh metadata all the time

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jun 19 19:09:19 UTC 2014

Am 19.06.2014 20:59, schrieb Jared K. Smith:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net <mailto:h.reindl at thelounge.net>> wrote:
>
>     if *that* is what is supposed to make DNF faster it's just a lie
>
> This is not the only thing that DNF does differently to try to make package installations and updates go faster (or
> appear to go faster).  Calling the developers liers doesn't help the situation any.
>

>     if i am really interested in updates now i do "yum clean metadata && yum upgrade"
>     for many years simply because you don't know how accurat you metadata are
>
> Sure, but you have to understand -- you're a power user.  You know enough to do this in yum for your particular use
> case, which means you probably know enough to change the DNF settings with regards to cron-based metadata
> retrieval.  What I think you're missing (and frankly, seem to miss in the lot of fedora-devel discussions you take
> part in) is that Fedora isn't engineered around *your* particular needs.  We do things mostly by consensus, and aim
> to make it a pleasant experience for the *average* user (or whatever we have in the Fedora community that
> approximates an average user), and not just for power users with very specific needs and requirements

that must be also the reason for proposals like disable the firewall by default
while power-users never would do that and the ordinary user is in danger by
rely on careful defaults

what many developers refuse to understand if i complain about things is that
*i have no problem* to adopt many wrong decisions and make them sane, the
ordinary user don't know that all and relies on defaults

> Whether you like it or not, one of the most common complaints about yum (especially
> from people coming from another package management system) is that it seems slow
> because of the necessity to download the metadata

Whether you like it or not, the reason i laugh about Debian based systems
over many years is that "apt-get upgrade" don't do anything most of the
time until you force it to refresh the metadata before and then you get
the recent security updates you already know that they are available