DNF: why does it refresh metadata all the time

Gerald B. Cox gbcox at bzb.us
Thu Jun 19 22:42:12 UTC 2014

FYI... update is a deprecated alias for the "upgrade" command​, and has
been for a couple of years.  Don't know when they're going to phase it out,
but probably a good idea to switch over to get used to it.

Also, to make the changes more permanent, add the following lines to
/etc/dnf/dnf.conf
metadata_expire=0
metadata_timer_sync=0

That is what I finally did... Of the two years of using DNF I have always
had to "dnf clean" before "upgrade" otherwise it would report back no
updates were available, even though a "yum update" would report that
changes were indeed available.

I've never had much luck with the "automagic" update utilities.
 "kpackagekit" now known "apper" would always startup at the most
inopportune times, chugging away, slowing down the system.  I think one of
the number one questions has always been how to disable it.  Don't get me
wrong, I fully understand how some people love that sort of thing.   I
personally alway prefer to do anything upgrade related manually, though the
command line, watching as changes are being applied.  I guess I'm not very
trusting in that regard.  LOL...

Just a few weeks ago, I finally got tired of it and searched and found out
how to update the dnf.conf.