DNF: why does it refresh metadata all the time

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jun 20 10:50:15 UTC 2014

Am 20.06.2014 12:36, schrieb Mat Booth:
> On 20 June 2014 11:19, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net <mailto:h.reindl at thelounge.net>> wrote:
>

>     Am 20.06.2014 11:57, schrieb Mat Booth:
>     > On 20 June 2014 10:19, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net <mailto:h.reindl at thelounge.net>
>     <mailto:h.reindl at thelounge.net <mailto:h.reindl at thelounge.net>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     Am 20.06.2014 08:55, schrieb drago01:
>     >     > On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Jared K. Smith
>     >     > <jsmith at fedoraproject.org <mailto:jsmith at fedoraproject.org> <mailto:jsmith at fedoraproject.org
>     <mailto:jsmith at fedoraproject.org>>> wrote:
>     >     >> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net <mailto:h.reindl at thelounge.net>
>     <mailto:h.reindl at thelounge.net <mailto:h.reindl at thelounge.net>>>
>     >     >> wrote:
>     >     >> Whether you like it or not, one of the most common complaints about yum
>     >     >> (especially from people coming from another package management system) is
>     >     >> that it seems slow because of the necessity to download the metadata.  The
>     >     >> DNF developers -- in trying to address this common complaint -- had solved
>     >     >> it by handling metadata in a different way.  They've also added settings so
>     >     >> that power users like you and I can tune it to better fit our particular
>     >     >> needs.
>     >     >>
>     >     >>> and *no* traffic is not cheap everywhere, by far not
>     >     >>
>     >     >> I probably understand this better than a lot of people on this list, as I've
>     >     >> been on a bandwidth-limited connection for the past nine years.  Only in the
>     >     >> past month have I been able to get high speed internet in my home that
>     >     >> wasn't limited to a few gigabytes per month.  So yes, I completely
>     >     >> understand that traffic isn't cheap (or fast) everywhere.
>     >     >
>     >     > It should be at least smart enough to not do it on mobile broadband
>     >     > (like packagekit does)
>     >
>     >     how should it do that?
>     >
>     >     it's imagination that any software knows anything about the internet connection
>     >     even 11 years ago with a 56k modem that access was shared for my LAN and so
>     >     the only thing the notebook knew about the inernet was "appears to be slow"
>     >
>     > IIRC, NetworkManager's DBus API should be able to give you that information
>
>     from where should it get that information if your network connection is
>     a Gigabit-Ethernet LAN to the router with a slow DSL upstream?
>
>     your whole machine has no idea about your WAN connection
>
> Woah there... The suggestion was to simply let it be "smart enough to not do it on mobile broadband" to which you
> asked "how?"
>
> I answered only that question

again:

* 3G stick aka mobile broadband as WAN connection
* that WAN connection is shared in the LAN
* the single machines don't know anything about the WAN connection

believe it or not, but here in austria it's not uncommon to get a
box with 3G and on the other end a ethernet-port where you connect
your devices and have some hundret MB per month

in the meantime many of that packages are going in the direction
ulimited traffic, but that's nothing you can be sure about as
OS supplier