DNF: why does it refresh metadata all the time

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jun 20 11:13:10 UTC 2014

Am 20.06.2014 13:04, schrieb Mat Booth:
> On 20 June 2014 11:50, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net <mailto:h.reindl at thelounge.net>> wrote:
>
>     Am 20.06.2014 12:36, schrieb Mat Booth:
>     > On 20 June 2014 11:19, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net <mailto:h.reindl at thelounge.net>
>     >     >     how should it do that?
>     >     >
>     >     >     it's imagination that any software knows anything about the internet connection
>     >     >     even 11 years ago with a 56k modem that access was shared for my LAN and so
>     >     >     the only thing the notebook knew about the inernet was "appears to be slow"
>     >     >
>     >     > IIRC, NetworkManager's DBus API should be able to give you that information
>     >
>     >     from where should it get that information if your network connection is
>     >     a Gigabit-Ethernet LAN to the router with a slow DSL upstream?
>     >
>     >     your whole machine has no idea about your WAN connection
>     >
>     > Woah there... The suggestion was to simply let it be "smart enough to not do it on mobile broadband" to which you
>     > asked "how?"
>     >
>     > I answered only that question
>
>     again:
>
>     * 3G stick aka mobile broadband as WAN connection
>     * that WAN connection is shared in the LAN
>     * the single machines don't know anything about the WAN connection
>
>     believe it or not, but here in austria it's not uncommon to get a
>     box with 3G and on the other end a ethernet-port where you connect
>     your devices and have some hundret MB per month
>
>     in the meantime many of that packages are going in the direction
>     ulimited traffic, but that's nothing you can be sure about as
>     OS supplier
>
> Well sure, but there's no sense in throwing out all imperfect solutions because of a desire for perfection. Don't
> you agree that a good first step would be to teach DNF how to talk to NetworkManager?
>
> 3G internet is common in my locale too -- this would at least cover the use case of connecting with a 3G dongle or
> tethered mobile phone

i don't agree the whole idea to refresh metadata unasked in the background
as default only to pretend it's faster and repeatly download unused data
because nobody asked for it and maybe don't ask for days

so stop implement unnecessary overhead with questionable benefit would
prevent from all discussions where it's appropriate and how to find out
if it's appropriate

the imagination that people all day long running dnf/yum is somehow
strange *and* that people which are doing are anyways not interested
in metadata fetched a hour ago and clean it