repodata - xz

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 18:13:00 UTC 2014

On 20.06.2014 15:44, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 03:19:55 +0200
> poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> f20:
>>
>> *filelists.sqlite.bz2      3.5 M
>> *filelists.xml.gz          3.3 M
>> *primary.sqlite.bz2        2.7 M
>> *primary.xml.gz            1.3 M
>> *other.sqlite.bz2          1.3 M
>> *other.xml.gz            964   K
>> *Fedora-20-comps.xml     906   K
>> *Fedora-20-comps.xml.gz  210   K
>> repomd.xml                 3.6 K
>>

>> rawhide:
>>
>> *filelists.xml.gz         28   M  <-  xz?
>> *filelists.sqlite.xz      25   M
>> *primary.sqlite.xz        17   M
>> *primary.xml.gz           10   M  <-  xz?
>> *other.sqlite.xz           7.5 M
>> *other.xml.gz              5.8 M  <-  xz?
>> *prestodelta.xml.xz        2.9 M
>> *comps-rawhide.xml         1.6 M  <-  ?
>> *comps-rawhide.xml.xz    230   K
>> repomd.xml                 4.2 K  <-  xz?
>>

>> Why aren't all compressed with the xz, in rawhide?
>> Why two *comps* with the same original checksums?
>
> because thats how createrepo works. the gzipped files are not ones you
> download. yum and dnf use the sqlite files.
>
> Dennis

"because thats how createrepo works"!? :)
I'm talking in general, why not use the same improved compression for all!
I haven't mentioned an interactive, rpm based, package managers, at all. :)
But when you mention them, it is obvious that we need features and performance of the delta repodata, which is currently lacking.
Rather than listen to a dandified hullabaloo. :)

poma