repodata - xz

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 21:13:27 UTC 2014

On 20.06.2014 21:44, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 20:13:00 +0200
> poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "because thats how createrepo works"!? :)
>> I'm talking in general, why not use the same improved compression for
>> all!
>
> Because createrepo wants to keep backward compatibility?

Wait a minute, is that what you're saying someone from EL4 poking around rawhide repo? :)
Yeah, I see how it is convenient to hold backward compatibility when you need it.

> For things that can use xz, they only download the xz files.
> For older things that cannot, they can download the gz files.

Old things have to evolve.
Old things should be upgraded.
We are talking about the rawhide repo, right. :)

> If your package manager does support xz repodata, you only ever get
> those. The mirrors keeping a few trivial sized .gz files doesn't affect
> you in any way, and allows people with older tools to still look at the
> repos.

Again, these old things! :)

> The exception in your list is the repomd.xml file. This file is vastly
> the most accessed one in repodata. Compressing it with xz (or gz) would
> be largely pointless since it's so small already and it would make
> everyone have to uncompress it lots and lots of times.

Around this we agree. :)

> kevin

Although you are not commented delta repodata.
Scary little thing, isn't it. :)

poma