comps categories: are they any use to anyone any more?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Jun 21 00:31:30 UTC 2014

Working on comps for the NetworkManager submodule change (see other
email) made me wonder: are the comps 'categories' actually used for
anything any more?

I believe they were used in oldUI for presentation of the 'pick a
package' UI. We don't have that UI any more, haven't since Fedora 18. I
don't believe anaconda uses the categories any more. newUI shows
environment groups down the left hand side of the screen. On the right
hand side it shows the optional groups related to the current
environment group at the top, and then all other user visible package
groups at the bottom.

So if I'm right that anaconda isn't using the categories any more, is
anything else? Or can we just ditch them?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey