DNF: why does it refresh metadata all the time

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jun 21 14:46:36 UTC 2014

Am 21.06.2014 16:42, schrieb Rahul Sundaram:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 4:45 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>     stop the automatic bandwidth wasting at all and you don't
>     have to fix anything - don't you realize that this 50% are
>     the ones with the slow WAN and the ones with fast internet
>     don't need prefetch of metadata at all?
>
> Even if I have a fast connection,  I prefer metadata refreshes to happen automatically in the background and
> consider it as a useful optimization.  I would disable that service in a server perhaps and that is something for
> the server product to consider

what you or i prefer don't matter

the ordinary user never uses yum/dnf at all and most of them just
react on the "new updates are available" in the GUI - fine that
runs completly in the background - there is no slower/faster
in that context and most ohters case about *fresh* metadata
and not previously cached ones

however, it's even not worth to get angry about another
wrong default decision and i juest fix the settings at
my own