DNF: why does it refresh metadata all the time

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jun 21 15:26:59 UTC 2014

Am 21.06.2014 17:20, schrieb drago01:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 4:46 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>
>> Am 21.06.2014 16:42, schrieb Rahul Sundaram:
>>> On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 4:45 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>>
>>>     stop the automatic bandwidth wasting at all and you don't
>>>     have to fix anything - don't you realize that this 50% are
>>>     the ones with the slow WAN and the ones with fast internet
>>>     don't need prefetch of metadata at all?
>>>
>>> Even if I have a fast connection,  I prefer metadata refreshes to happen automatically in the background and
>>> consider it as a useful optimization.  I would disable that service in a server perhaps and that is something for
>>> the server product to consider
>>
>> what you or i prefer don't matter
>>
>> the ordinary user never uses yum/dnf at all and most of them just
>> react on the "new updates are available" in the GUI - fine that
>> runs completly in the background - there is no slower/faster
>> in that context and most ohters case about *fresh* metadata
>> and not previously cached ones
>
> Well there is not much difference between a few hours old metadata and
> "fresh" metadata. You might as well hit a mirror that is a few hours
> behind in syncing ....

and that is the difference

if i type "dnf upgrade" because at the moment i have time and
would apply available updates due a cigarette break and get
metadata downloaded at that moment the mirror is more likely
not behind compared to denf refreshed in background before

not only only i did "rm -rf /var/cache/yum/*; yum upgrade"
because i knew there where a security relevant update multiple
times and then it was visible

another things whis pisses me personally is the size of the
metadat at all - that are some hundret MB not worth lying
around unused - but as said: i disable that behavior and
that's it for me - the decision need to manually disable
it remains wrong