repodata - xz

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Jun 22 20:44:03 UTC 2014

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 22:29:30 +0200
drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Perhaps we should make createrepo default to XZ in Fedora rawhide,
> > and make all the tools do the right thing?

We have already done that. rawhide and epel7 repos use

--compress-type xz

> > Would be nice if createrepo was influenced by a system-wide config
> > file, so we could easily implement that idea.
> > Otherwise we are forced to work around createrepo in our release
> > engineering.
> >
> > Regardless we should strive to make all repo metadata XZ compressed,
> > unless there is a good reason not to do that?

Please file a RFE or bug on createrepo if you think it should do
something different with --compress-type xz enabled. ;)

> Well even if we do that we need to support the old format (i.e fall
> back when xz is not available) otherwise old (third party / custom)
> repos would stop working.

Well, it depends on what level of compatibility you want.

Right now with xz repos, RHEL6 instances need to manually install
pyliblzma in order to work with the repos.

In any case, any changes we want in createrepo should funnel to the
maintainer(s) for comment.

kevin