dnf even allows to uninstall RPM and systemd without warnings

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Mon Jun 23 16:47:27 UTC 2014

Once upon a time, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> said:
> Try yum update when the oldest installed kernel (and the running
> kernel) is the only one that works and there is a new (still broken
> for your system) kernel update available. In that case one really
> wouldn't expect the running kernel be removed. Having to remove a
> specific kernel before doing an update (to make sure the wrong one
> wasn't removed) would be a pain.

I guess I never considered it a pain.  That's exactly what I would do if
I knew a particular kernel was broken (remove specifically the broken
kernel).  I never knew yum/a yum plugin/whatever did "magic" stuff based
on the running kernel, trying to remove "special" packages like yum,
etc.

I always consider command-line tools (especially those that can only
make changes when run by "root") to be "do what I say".  I usually
remove the "helpful" aliases for rm/cp/mv from ~root/.bashrc, as I've
had problems due to them in the past.  If I'm root and I say "rm", I
expect it to rm.  I would never say "yum remove kernel" and expect it to
NOT remove all packages named "kernel" (I would actually be confused if
it didn't).

I have no problem with GUI tools having magic protections built in, but
I prefer CLI tools that don't try to out-think me.  yum/dnf already asks
for confirmation (which is more than up2date did); having additional
layers of protection/confirmation/whatever built-in seems excessive to
me.

It looks like there isn't even a way to override this behavior in yum.
I haven't wanted to remove all the kernels in a while (I guess since
before this was added); is the only way to bypass yum and use rpm?
--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>