dnf even allows to uninstall RPM and systemd without warnings

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jun 23 16:57:44 UTC 2014

Am 23.06.2014 18:44, schrieb Matthias Clasen:
> On Mon, 2014-06-23 at 11:14 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
>> Try yum update when the oldest installed kernel (and the running
>> kernel) is the only one that works and there is a new (still broken for
>> your system) kernel update available. In that case one really wouldn't
>> expect the running kernel be removed. Having to remove a specific kernel before
>> doing an update (to make sure the wrong one wasn't removed) would be
>> a pain.
>
> I would suggest that the fix for this is to not push broken kernels so
> frequently that 'the oldest one is the only that works' becomes an
> issue, and to introduce automatic testing that ensures you can at least
> boot rawhide to the login screen, _before_ a build gets pushed out to
> the masses

please come back to the real world

define broken - the one kernel last year which did not boot on both of
my machines likely worked for a lot of other people and so it got karma

and as long Fedora is not Apple only supporting a restricted set of
hardware what you suggest is just impossible and so the right way
to do is don't thow away *existing* safety nets and call that
"improvement"

fine, it would be cool if there would never exist broken updates
but they existed, the will exist in the future and nobody ever
will be able to change that - so handle it and accept that there
are existing methods to handle that, be gald that they exist and
shout to anybody trying to remove them and call it "improvement"