dnf even allows to uninstall RPM and systemd without warnings

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jun 23 17:01:39 UTC 2014

Am 23.06.2014 18:47, schrieb Chris Adams:
> Once upon a time, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> said:
>> Try yum update when the oldest installed kernel (and the running
>> kernel) is the only one that works and there is a new (still broken
>> for your system) kernel update available. In that case one really
>> wouldn't expect the running kernel be removed. Having to remove a
>> specific kernel before doing an update (to make sure the wrong one
>> wasn't removed) would be a pain.
>
> I guess I never considered it a pain.  That's exactly what I would do if
> I knew a particular kernel was broken (remove specifically the broken
> kernel).  I never knew yum/a yum plugin/whatever did "magic" stuff based
> on the running kernel, trying to remove "special" packages like yum,
> etc.

be glad that you learned something new :-)

> I have no problem with GUI tools having magic protections built in, but
> I prefer CLI tools that don't try to out-think me.  yum/dnf already asks
> for confirmation (which is more than up2date did); having additional
> layers of protection/confirmation/whatever built-in seems excessive to
> me.

in general - agreed

but not if it comes to destory the complete setup

> It looks like there isn't even a way to override this behavior in yum.
> I haven't wanted to remove all the kernels in a while (I guess since
> before this was added); is the only way to bypass yum and use rpm?

yes - simply because the chance that soemone wants to uninstall all
kernels, yum, dnf and finalyl rpm itself is very low

frankly - it would be for sure not impossible to implement a
"yum --disable-protections" - but that would be more wasted
time given how often it is really what the user wants, but
i have no problem with a "do what i say"

the same applies to "rm -rf /" which is also protected and
can be overriden with a CLI switch - for the same reason:
it's hardly what the user really wanted to do