dnf even allows to uninstall RPM and systemd without warnings

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 07:31:17 UTC 2014

On 23 June 2014 23:54, Gerald B. Cox <gbcox at bzb.us> wrote:
> First of all thank you for your reasoned response.  I simply disagree.
>
> I understand the fact about require bugs, and the tons of dependent
> packages.  I've seen that also when I've tried to remove a package and
> noticed it had a myriad of dependencies which would also be removed.
> However, when I see this, I simply respond "N" when I'm asked if it is OK to
> proceed.  I also cringe when I see the "-y or --assumeyes" option mentioned.
> IMO that is just inviting disaster.  I'm surprised no one is "demanding"
> that be removed.  It is dangerous.
>
> Regarding your kernel comment, I've been using Fedora since Redhat 6.2 and
> DNF since it first came out and I've never encountered this.  When I update
> the kernel, it leaves the prior two on my system for rollback, so I have no
> idea what you're talking about.  Yes, if you manually enter "dnf remove
> kernel" it will come back with a list of all your installed kernels, but
> again, you have to tell it "YES" to proceed.
>
> That said, my concern is that valuable developer time be devoted to
> something which basically is to assist a small fraction of people who are
> careless, can't be bothered to read or both.

How much time would it take to write such a feature? (DNF is well
designed and easy to write for right? That's part of the justification
for doing it.)
How much time would it take for someone unfamiliar with the workings
of DNF to write a plugin and get it accepted by the DNF team?
How much time has been wasted arguing against it on this mailing list?

And lastly:
Why do you assume that making a mistake implies careless or can't be
bothered to read, rather than, for example, inexperienced, out of
depth following instructions or under pressure and very busy?

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk