dnf even allows to uninstall RPM and systemd without warnings

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi.boukelmoune at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 10:22:01 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 24.06.2014 12:05, schrieb Dridi Boukelmoune:
>> Because I totally agree with you and IIRC this kind of stuff has been
>> added over time in yum. Also IMHO some of those features are very
>> fedora/el specific, and allows yum to work only on fedora and
>> downstream distros. Yum expects the kernel rpm to be named "kernel",
>> which is tied to how Fedora packages kernels
>
> that's not entirely true, otherwise it won't work the way it
> does on Rawhide with only "kernel-core" installed, it's pretty
> sure a matter of rpm-provides and in that case any distribution
> cae name the kernel-package "linux" as long it provides kernel
> in it's metadata
>
> [root at rawhide ~]# yum remove kernel
> Skipping the running kernel: kernel-core-3.16.0-0.rc1.git4.1.fc21.x86_64
> No Packages marked for removal

That is probably related to the "running kernel detection" which is
even more distro-specific.

What I had in mind is from yum.conf(5):

> installonlypkgs
> List of package provides that should only ever be installed, never updated. Kernels in
> particular fall into this category. Defaults  to kernel, kernel-bigmem, kernel-enterprise,
> kernel-smp, kernel-modules, kernel-debug, kernel-unsupported, kernel-source, kernel-
> devel, kernel-PAE, kernel-PAE-debug.

My point was more about fedora-specific assumptions in yum, and I'm
not running rawhide so maybe kernel-core is now part of the defaults
for `installonlypkgs`.

I hope this clarifies what I meant.

Dridi