dnf even allows to uninstall RPM and systemd without warnings

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jun 25 11:31:39 UTC 2014

On 06/23/2014 07:21 PM, Jaroslav Nahorny wrote:

> Reindl Harald writes:

>>> It looks like there isn't even a way to override this behavior in yum.
>>> I haven't wanted to remove all the kernels in a while (I guess since
>>> before this was added); is the only way to bypass yum and use rpm?
>>
>> yes - simply because the chance that soemone wants to uninstall all
>> kernels, yum, dnf and finalyl rpm itself is very low

Really?

Say, you don't know what python is and have no use for it and therefore
want to remove it to slim down the footprint of your installation:

# yum remove python
Error: Trying to remove "yum", which is protected

Similarly, a new-comer can be tempted to remove this meaningless package
called "bash":
# yum remove bash
..
Error: Trying to remove "systemd", which is protected
Error: Trying to remove "yum", which is protected

> Indeed. But that's why yum / dnf displays you the whole transaction and
> asks you to *confirm*.
> For me it is a totally reasonable and sane approach.
I disagee. In general, people do not know what to answer, because they
are unable to estimate the impact of what "yes" may have.

This not only applies to new-comers, but to everybody.
It's just that Linux professionals and Linux nerds may have a coarse
imagination that removing something could have disasterous consequence,
but in general, they also frequently hit their limits when being
confronted with "OK to remove foobar?".

Ralf