setterm syntax changed

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 26 06:52:13 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-26 14:18 (GMT+0800) Christopher Meng composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>>         setterm --foreground white --bold --background blue --blank 59 --store

>> produces nearly the same error message:

>>         setterm: argument error: --background

>> Note that the argument the message apparently applies to is neither first
>> nor last.

> Only this works:

> setterm --foreground white  --background blue --bold on

I can't imagine that working. Logically speaking, that should be bolding the
background, not the foreground.

> You need to put the relevant color the the proper place, I think it's
> order dependant:

What I've been using worked for well over a decade.

>   "--foreground white"

>   "--background blue"

I think what's order dependent is a bug in the rewrite to require the double
hyphen where previously a single did the job. I tried this:

	setterm --background blue --foreground white --bold --blank 59 --store

That moved the error:

	setterm: argument error: --blank

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/