delta rpms - can we turn them off

Troy Dawson tdawson at redhat.com
Fri Jun 27 16:07:51 UTC 2014

On 06/27/2014 10:45 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Troy Dawson wrote:
>

>     It is a hidden default that is not in any man page or documentation.
>     Yes, I used a poor choice of words.
>

> man yum.conf
>
>  deltarpm
>
>               When non-zero, delta-RPM files are used if available.  The
> value
>               specifies the maximum number of  "applydeltarpm"
> processes  Yum
>               will spawn, if the value is negative then yum works out
> how many
>               cores you have  and  multiplies  that  by  the  value
> (cores=2,
>               deltarpm=-2; 4 processes). (2 by default).
>
> Rahul

Cool,
I'm glad it's in the man pages now.  It isn't in the man pages of my
older versions of yum.
And it's actually a very good section, talking about how it determines
how many threads to use.

Now that we've established that, what about the problem with running
deltarpm on ARM or Atom based machines?
Looking at the man page, it might not even be a problem with the CPU,
but the IO of the machine.  Almost all the machines in my tiny sever
rack are running off slow disks, USB, or SD cards.

All that being said, what is the criteria for getting a default
configuration line put into yum.conf?
I'd really like to get the deltarpm= line put in there.

Troy