delta rpms - can we turn them off

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Jun 27 17:35:20 UTC 2014

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 19:23:04 +0200
drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why?

My understanding of the process as it exists:

Download drpm.
Take drpm contents + old package files installed locally that were not
changed and create updated rpm.
yum/dnf hands off this updated new version to rpm as normal.

If they didn't create the orig rpm, it would require rpm to handle
drpms differently and apply them somehow on existing files and update
rpmdb. If the drpms were signed, only those parts of the package that
changed in that drpm could be verified, the rest of the ones from the
filesystem would just be whatever was on the filesystem.

Right now rpm doesn't need or want to know anything about drpms.
If we change the process, you would likely need to implement drpm
support in rpm directly. I don't know if rpm maintainers would be open
to this, but I suspect it would be a lot of work.

kevin