delta rpms - can we turn them off

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 10:32:26 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 1:55 AM, Jonathan Dieter <jdieter at lesbg.com> wrote:

> 2. RPM would also need to support signatures across the uncompressed payload
> as well as the compressed payload.

Well Florian said that only the header is actually signed not the
payload. So this shouldn't be necessary.

> 3. Deltarpm would need to be patched to build non-compressed rpms when
> rebuilding the deltarpms.
>
> As the maintainer of deltarpm, I can easily do (3), but there didn't seem to
> be much buy-in for (1) and (2) the last time I suggested it (no references;
> I can't seem to find the previous thread in the archives).
>
> Please note that this would severely reduce the need for CPU during the
> deltarpm rebuild process, but at the expense of increasing IO as we're
> writing an uncompressed RPM.

Given how expensive xz compression is that should sitll be a win. On a
fast system where the compression does not hurt so much you are likely
have enough memory for I/O not to be much on an issue for moderately
sized updates.