fedora-release-$PRODUCT, /etc/issue, /etc/os-release, Per-Product Configs and more!

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Jun 30 19:39:55 UTC 2014

On Mon, 30.06.14 14:59, Stephen Gallagher (sgallagh at redhat.com) wrote:

> 2) The fedora-release-$PRODUCT package (and possibly %post or systemd
> snippets therein) will be responsible for the creation and maintenance
> of /etc/issue, /etc/os-release and /etc/fedora-release-product (note:
> there is no $ there. That's the literal name. This file will be
> equivalent to /etc/fedora-release except that it will include the
> Product name.

Probably quite unrelated to the actual topic of this thread, but I just
wanted to mention that we intend to move /etc/os-release to
/usr/lib/os-release (and make /etc/os-release a symlink). We are working
on making factory reset/stateless stuff work on Fedora, and this
actually turned out to be one of the surprisingly few incomptibilities
(the two other being dbus and PAM) we ran into. Placing this in /usr/lib
is certainly the most appropriate place for it, after all it describes
what /usr actually contains, not what /etc contains...

Anyway, just wanted to mention this. We will soon upload a new systemd
release to Rawhide, that prepares everything for moving the file, will
then file a bug against fedora-release asking for the file to be moved.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat