fedora-release-$PRODUCT, /etc/issue, /etc/os-release, Per-Product Configs and more!

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 30 20:03:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-06-30 at 15:42 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On 06/30/2014 03:38 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Stephen Gallagher
> > <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> There will be Requires: as part of of the
> >> fedora-release-$PRODUCT package itself, therefore guaranteeing
> >> that a certain set of packages are always installed if the
> >> fedora-release-$PRODUCT package is.

> >> Let me give an example of the definition of
> >> fedora-release-server.
> >>
> >> Name: fedora-release-server Version: 21 Release: 1 Requires:
> >> cockpit Requires: rolekit
> >
> > OK, I misread.  Though looking at this, I'm not sure it's really
> > the best solution here.  It would certainly work, but it seems
> > cumbersome if your product requires more than a handful of
> > packages.  Listing them all out would be superfluous since comps
> > should already do this. Relying on an explicitly listed handful to
> > bring in the rest via their RPM deps seems fragile.  What you have
> > may work for Server but I'm skeptical it will be feasible for
> > Workstation.
> >

> I'd *LOVE* for yum/dnf to be able to have Requires: @yum-group,
> personally...

 The problem here is that the meaning of @yum-group changes depending on
what repos. you have installed (and other things). And having dynamic
deps. is really bad.
 You could maybe do something at rpmbuild time which would convert
@yum-group into the a list of packages, just to make the spec files
nicer (but this will then be one more magic thing that changes depending
on how/where/when you built the .src.rpm).