default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sat Mar 1 23:26:32 UTC 2014

On Mar 1, 2014, at 2:16 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 11:29:30PM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> - There needs to be a mandate to remove features from custom partitioning
>>  that quite frankly don't make sense like rootfs on raid4, raid5 or
>>  raid6. OK maybe raid5. But not raid 4 or raid 6. There are other
>
> Okay, I'll bite. Why not rootfs on raid6?

It's pathological. There are too many simpler, faster, more resilient options considering rootfs at most isn't bigger than the average SSD: Two or three SSDs + n-way mirroring. RAID 10. Or RAID 1 + linear + XFS for deterministic workloads.

So even rootfs on raid 5 is pathological. It just looks cool in the installer UI because there is no such offering in Windows or OS X, but I'd limit it to /home or /$other.

Chris Murphy