default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Mar 2 01:33:51 UTC 2014

Am 02.03.2014 02:11, schrieb Chris Murphy:
> On Mar 1, 2014, at 5:44 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>>> If you need two disk failure tolerance use n-way mirroring with three disks, anaconda supports this
>>
>> and if you need failure tolerance *and* performance?
>
> You need better rootfs performance than what's provided by SSD?

no, i don't use SSD at all and many don't for good reasons

if you do not have endless disk slots and need a lot of storage you
have to decide and no place for rootfs on SSD

>> yes, then use commercial SAN storages…
>
> OK, but it sounds expensive and demeaning

but it works and has 365/7/24 support in case of troubles
*that* is the place where Fedora has to fight in case of storage

> Yet, I'll grant that it's more sane than rootfs on software RAID 6

and that is why my 30 Fedora production servers are running on top
of VMware vSphere and a HP SAN storage with RAID6 for many years

in that case i do not need to care what Fedora supports "sane" for
rootfs and that is what Fedora needs to beat or the storage area
will continue to run commercial storage area of it comes to business