default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Mar 2 14:27:46 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 01:03:38PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> What I came up with is this gem:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_storage_matrix
[...]
> Some of this is susceptible to automation, but some is not, in the sense
> that it involves the UI, and automated UI testing is a giant PITA.

There was a *great* talk at either FOSDEM or DevConf about what
OpenSUSE is using for automation of their UIs.  It's all open source,
easy to create the scripts using a GUI, and you can fiddle around with
bits of Javascript to fine tune the tests.

Of course, now I cannot find the talk anywhere ...

Anyone see / remember this?

> And 'susceptible to automation' is all very well, but it requires
> someone to do the work of automating it.

While I'm not volunteering to implement this, wouldn't fuzz testing
using kickstarts be fairly easy to implement and automate?  You
generate directed random kickstart files, run the installer using a
script similar to this:

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/master/builder/website/fedora.sh

and then see whether the result is a plausible looking guest.  (You
could use libguestfs to test whether the resultant guest contains
files at known locations, for example.)

This moves the question of whether kickstart covers every possibility
in Anaconda (or vice versa, I suppose).  But it has the advantage that
it seems like it would be easy to implement something quickly.

Rich.