default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Mar 2 18:53:58 UTC 2014

Am 02.03.2014 19:38, schrieb Chris Murphy:
> Is it reasonable to expose untested features in the UI? RAID 1 and RAID 10 are probably
> reasonably well tested because they meet the requirements (and then some) for many use
> cases. We have test cases for them. There are no RAID 4 or RAID 6 test cases, so should
> users be permitted to choose untested options?

wrong direction - if we are talk about Fedora.next the main question is why
are they not tested and not "don't use them because we don't test"

as said: if Fedora wants to compete with commercial solutions where nobody
spends a second to consider if RAID5/RAID6 is supported for whatever because
it is unconditional clear you argue the wrong direction

there are people using RAID6 for *anything* because it is *common knowledge*
that after one disk fails the chance due rebuild have another one fails is
way too high and RAID10 does *not* help here if it comes to important data

the problem of RAID10 is that the right one second disks needs to fail and
you can hardly chose that - in case of important data you must not need to
hope, you need safety