default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Nathanael Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Mon Mar 3 04:35:42 UTC 2014

On 03/01/2014 04:57 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> The servers were rented with a Fedora produced
> default/automatic/guided partitioning layout? If not, your example is
> out of scope. We are only talking about this context specifically, not
> arbitrary examples for shrinking a file system. The Fedora
> automatic/guided partition layout is a rootfs of 50GB, and any
> significant additional space goes to a separate /home. So you're
> saying you'd shrink a 50GB rootfs for encrypted data, rather than blow
> away the /home LV, make a new LV, encrypt it, then format it?

They were CentOS 6 machines. So perhaps the defaults are different
however this is something that happened to me and not being able to
shrink a fs would have been problematic / costly for me. Granted the
default there was /boot / and swap so I had a 900G / and nothing else
thus the shrinking of the / fs. So I suppose that if the servers were
fedora and had a /home LV this particular situation wouldn't have been
an issue.

I just wanted to point out that shrinking a partition is a valid use
case is all. In our current default fedora layout I could still
accomplish what I needed. But shrinking a fs is a valid use case...

Given the XFS shrinking issue it might even be nice to not allocate ALL
storage, create /, swap and /home without taking up all storage and then
let people enlarge what they need...

--
Nathanael